Pretty Printing

Rick Zaccone zaccone at bucknell.edu
Sun Nov 7 00:45:11 UTC 1999

>Rick,
>
>I just checked in an up-to-date 2.7-alpha image, in both mvc and
>morphic, and the pretty-print preference seem to work properly there.
>
>Once you set the #browseWithPrettyPrint preference to true, then any
>subsequent selection you make in a browser or message-list will result
>in the contents of the selected method being pretty-printed.
>
>When you *submit* a new version of a method in a browser, it is not
>reformatted by the pretty-printer -- could that be what is not working
>for you?  (To get the pretty-print effect in this case, deselect and
>then reselect the method name in the selector list.)
>
>Also, if you have a browser already open on the screen and already
>looking at a given method, and *then* you turn "browseWithPrettyPrint"
>on, you won't see the pretty-print effect in that browser until you
>reselect the method.
>
>Note also that in the case of the three file-based browsers --
>versions browser, change-list browser, and file-contents browser, the
>pretty-printer is not used.
>
>Possibly some of the customized browsers (e.g. hierarchy browser,
>inheritance browser, protocol browser) might not honor the
>#browseWithPrettyPrint preference -- I didn't check these.
>
>If none of the above speculations explains the phenomenon you're
>reporting, then please elaborate further, and we'll get to the bottom
>of this.
>
>  -- Scott

I'm using version 2.6 and the problem was present in 2.5 also.  I
don't think I tried it before that.

The problem occurs when I set the preference and then open a System
Browser and select any method.  It happens in MVC and morphic.  After
closing the preferences window I opened it back up again to make sure
that browseWithPrettyPrint was still set.  It was.  I'm just trying to
browse and I've looked at many different methods.  I even tried
opening a second browser.  No methods are pretty printed.

Rick