Squeak Socket Primitives

Craig Latta Craig.Latta at NetJam.ORG
Wed Nov 10 04:04:50 UTC 1999

> One could do the checks in the C code of the primitive, but that
> wouldn't make things go any faster.

	If you've got host threads focusing on specific events for you, some of the checks aren't even necessary.

> All of this could be quite useful, especially if it could be made to
> run on the current Squeak socket primitives. If you did this, your
> higher level code could be filed into any Squeak on any platform for
> testing and evaluation by the community. And you could always
> return to the fight over the socket primitives some other day... :-)

	Indeed. :)  As I said, I'm interested in doing this given a high probability of inclusion. In the meantime, much meaningful evaluation is easily doable, by installing the Correspondents release into a scratch virgin image and playing with it.

> ...please try to coordinate with Ralph; I understand that he'd like
> to do a portable layer that would also run on various commercial
> Smalltalks, which would be pretty useful for sharing code...

	It so happens that I contacted him yesterday; we're talking about it.

	thanks,

-C

--
Craig Latta