external streams (was "Byte order and ByteArray conversions")

Craig Latta Craig.Latta at NetJam.ORG
Wed Nov 3 06:56:35 UTC 1999

Hi David--

> Further background: It seems to me that there should be no
> real conceptual difference between an IO channel to a file, and
> an IO channel to a socket, or to any other external IO channel
> which can be opened, closed, read, or written to. Presumably
> these should all look like streams, and presumably we would want
> socket streams, file streams, and any other streams on external IO
> channels to behave in similar ways.

	I agree; I've written a framework which includes support for streaming over any external resource (e.g., TCP and UDP sockets, serial ports, files, MIDI ports, etc.). A single small message interface applies.

	It's not finished yet (not plugin-ized yet, primitives for just win32 so far), but I think the message and primitive interfaces are interesting on their own.

	Further information is at http://netjam.org/correspondents.

-C

--
Craig Latta