SIREN sound synthesis vs. CSound

Richard Smol rsmol at bart.nl
Sat Nov 20 11:36:21 UTC 1999

Hi there,

I am a programmer who also likes to make music (I play bass). Now I am
trying to
combine the two, with a special interest in using the computer to
*produce* sounds.

Now I am not really very proficient in computer sound synthesis and have
been
wondering what would be a good start. I have been looking into CSound
but found
it rather arcane, mostly because of its ugly language. Using Smalltalk
for
sound synthesis would be pretty cool so I looked into Siren as well.

My question is: how do the two compare, feature-wise. Could I so the
sort of thing
with Siren as with CSound, but then with a cool, object-oriented
language like
Smalltalk?

Any input is welcome :)

Greetz,