page width

Scott Wallace Scott.Wallace at disney.com
Wed Nov 10 05:07:35 UTC 1999

The reason why a number of us stopped having our mail client wrap our outgoing text is that when we set up Eudora to wrap messages, it also insists on wrapping the text in outgoing textual *attachments* -- such as Squeak fileouts.

Thus, when we used to configure Eudora to wrap, we sometimes got gratuitous CRs inserted in fileouts that we were sending out as attachments.  This was always annoying and sometimes it broke things (because CRs would get inserted in the midst of long string literals, for example.)

Having had our code compromised by this glitch a number of times, some of us who send around a lot of fileouts by email using Eudora eventually switched back to no-automatic-wrap.

I'd be interested to know how many people in the Squeak community are in the same boat as Rick Zaccone and Albert Wagner, in that they have no convenient way to contend with unwrapped paragraphs in incoming email.  Anyone else in such a situation who wants to be counted is invited to write to me privately about it, and I'll aggregate the results and report back.

  -- Scott

PS: In the interest of making it possible for aggrieved parties to read this, I've temporarily turned word-wrap on before sending this out.