Improved chat for Squeak PWS?

Peter William Lount peter at smalltalk.org
Tue Oct 19 22:57:17 UTC 1999

Hi,

I've played with it a little. I got fed up with the refresh and just
removed it. Another problem with having a refresh that is really annoying
to a user is to have the "refresh" occur while you are typing an entry thus
loosing your typed text. If you've typed a lot this is truely
distressing... so I just removed the refresh. Someone can always just
submit a blank entry and get a manual refresh...

There seems to be another problem with "duplicate" submissions after a
"freeze up" of the page. This presents itself when a user clicks on the
button and nothing seems to happen until the mouse is moved on the server
or the user clicks the button a second time. If the button was pressed two
times the request responds quickly but two entries have been made as a
result of the two button presses. There is something going on that I've not
had the time or energy to figure out...

I also changed the main server loops delay down to the minimum time to
improve the server response times.

Good luck with it.

All the best,

Peter William Lount