Forget O'Reilly, Lets talk servers!

John Duncan jddst19+ at pitt.edu
Sun Oct 10 03:48:23 UTC 1999

> I *know* there are ISP's that will let you supply a server, and they
> will put it on the Internet.  They charge more than for
> dial-up access,
> but it's still feasible.  So, if you are interested in this kind of
> stuff, try giving some local ISP's a call--there's a decent
> chance one
> of them will be willing.  (And if you do, write to the list of your
> success/failure.  Apparently it would be of interest :))
>
> Of course, this would mean you have to admin a server.  But then,
> adminning Swikis is fairly easy!

It's called colocation, for anyone interested in trying this out.
Colocating a server is somewhat expensive. In addition to the cost of
the server, they want you to pay a significant amount for a small
amount of bandwidth. It's still much cheaper than renting the same
amount of bandwidth. An interesting solution is rackspace.com, a
company specializing in colos. They build you a server and amortize
its cost along with your line subscription charges. It is still $435
to start and between $400 and $1200 per month to continue based on
bandwidth. On the other hand, they have the standard colo option and
it could be somewhat cheaper assuming donations. Plus with a standard
setting one could install a mac if he or she so wanted.

Prices vary a lot, and so do services I'm sure.

-John