An image is a lonely place

Smilie smilie at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Oct 1 01:26:06 UTC 1999

> To get an idea of how subtle some of these
> elements are, you can make a small experiment with colleagues
> (or ever suffering students).  Have a small group of people
> re-arrange the furniture in a conference room -- or just
> have them walk into a conference room where the furniture is
> in disarray and watch and listen very, very closely to what
> actually happens.  It is surprising how little explicit, coherent
> speech/orders/planning occur.  Mostly there will be pointing, funny
> facial expressions, grunts, nudges, glances to see where others are
> looking or moving or pushing, and the furniture somehow gets arranged.

This is *SO* true.  You should see our GA Tech Squeakers lab.  Definitly
not arranged in the best of ways.  We couldn't even decide how to
re-arange it either.  I guess thats what you get for leaving things up to
a bunch of grad and undergrad students.  :-)

Point very well taken.

Jen a.k.a. Smilie
:-P
smilie at cc.gatech.edu