ClearType - a clarification

Marcel Weiher marcel at metaobject.com
Fri Oct 8 19:24:19 UTC 1999

Yes, you can't really make smaller pixels with this technique, you
can just position them at smaller horizontal increments.  That's why
it's called 'sub-pixel-positioning'.  So you can position a 1/1 pixel
at postion 0, 1/3, 2/3 or 1, but you cannot make the 1/3 width
vertical line you are referring to.  You may be able to get away with
adding fractional widths to elements wider than a single pixel, I
don't know about that (the pictures henry posted certainly seem to
imply it).

Marcel