[BUG?] (Symbol readFromString: '#Smalltalk') class ~~ Symbol

Mark A. Schwenk mas at wellthot.com
Tue Oct 5 23:17:42 UTC 1999

As part of a high school student's internship at WellThot Inc., we are producing a regression test for Squeak.

We are working our way through Goldberg & Robson's Smalltalk-80: The Language (Purple Book), beginning with chapter 6.

As part of testing #readFromString:, we noticed that

	(Symbol readFromString: '#Smalltalk') class == String.

when we expected

	(Symbol readFromString: '#Smalltalk') class == Symbol.

What do others think? Is this a bug? Should we fix it?

I notice that in VW 3.0,

	(Symbol readFromString: '#Smalltalk') class == ByteSymbol.

-Mark Schwenk
 WellThot Inc.