ClearType for Squeak/Sub-pixel antialiasing

Henrik Gedenryd Henrik.Gedenryd at lucs.lu.se
Thu Oct 7 09:25:18 UTC 1999

Well, I hedged by writing "more or less"! There is a fuller account on the
URL I referred to.

> Now this only works on LCD screens (more or less),

> For example, it has been used on Acorn RISC OS since
> '89 for everything from 640 at 480 4bpp screens up to 1600 at 1200 32bpp.
> You _can_ actually improve the vertical resolution in just the same way as the
> horizontal,

Tell me how this works. It seems to be a different technique than
*sub-pixel* rendering, and I assume you don't mean regular (gray level, or
rather intensity) anti-aliasing (isn't 'AA' a strange name btw). (Check out
that web page. How is it different from regular AA?

> but as you said, the micro-manipulation that colour LCDs need
> doesn't help vertically. On CRTs and LCDs you can still do 'regular' anti-
> aliasing in both axes. You can do it quite well on decent printers as well.
>

> tim

I also just found out that hinting and grid-fitting in TT is done by a
200-opcode hinting language requiring its own interpreter, ouch!

Henrik