[BUG] Image segments crash VM

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Tue Oct 12 15:28:51 UTC 1999

[This was a private message, but it may be of general interest...]

>Hi Dan,
>
>I have a problem with the image segment stuff. If I enter one of my
>projects, Squeak crashes with a "segmentation fault" error, which *never*
>happened before:
>
>Segmentation fault
> ... <stack dump> ...
>
>The funny part is, if I close some windows and save the image, the world
>gets installed correctly and I can enter the project.
>
>I'm still using a 2.4c Linux VM, but image segments seem to work in
>general. I didn't play with it, I just enabled the "sentToDisk" pref. The
>highest changeset was #1534 (it crashed with the newest updates, too).
>Maybe I screwed up something. But still, Squeak shouldn't just crash, it
>should tell me I'm a moron or something ...

As my earlier message said, you *MUST* have a new VM to play with image segments.

There were two problems with the earlier imageSegment code.  One was excessive marking in GC which caused some objects not to appear in the shadow of the segment roots.  Another was that mark and root bits got copied into the segment and thus, when the objects came in, they were wrongly marked.  Any one of these can cause fatal crashes.

We have put a new VM for the mac as SqueakVM2.5cPPC.sea, and we'll put out a full round with 2.6 later this week.  As I said earlier, any Squeak with updates through 1523 should be capable of producing an image-segment-safe interpreter file if you wish to build your own.

	- Dan