ENVY vs CVS (was: Re TeamTool/Version-Management for Squeak)

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at netsurf.de
Thu Oct 21 18:28:32 UTC 1999

At 10:52 21.10.99 +0200, you wrote:

>You made a good point here but I don't like the Idea of having
>a number of different change set files in different versions.
>The problem is that you don't see at a first glance which
>change file affects which classes. Furthermore the classes in
>the changes files don't carry version information so if you find
>two chage sets which affect the same class you don't know if you
>can load them both and in which order.

Don't look at the change files.  Use tools!  I imagine something like
Squeak's changes browser which nicely shows the additions and modifications
before actually applying the code.

>And this is what I was heading for. I thought of an ENVY-like server in
>a LAN or even WAN written completely in Squeak that manages one change
>file (with some additional information and pointering) and thus replaces
>the image and changes files of all its clients.

I don't like the idea to replace something that works.  One of ENVY's
drawbacks is that you need a permanent connection to its repository.  I
prefer a checkout/optionally lock/checkin approach which allows you to work
"unplugged".  Assume you simply want to try something out which shall not
affect any other code.

bye

--
Stefan Matthias Aust  //  Bevor wir fallen, fallen wir lieber auf.