TeamTool/Version-Management for Squeak?

Robin Gibson ironsignbob at we.mediaone.net
Thu Oct 21 22:53:35 UTC 1999

Miles Fidelman <mfidelman at ntcorp.com> wrote:
> Of course if we really wanted to get fancy we'd have squeak be able to
> handle multiple versions of classes and methods simultaneously - for
> example by having every new version of a class be a sub-class of the
> previous version - and letting instances specify which version of a class
> definition they instantiate.  Then let the system talk to a repository
> that keeps all the versions around.
>
> Not that I'm suggesting really doing this, but it would be interesting.
> :-)

Yeah, GemStone/Smalltalk does that - they have a collection of SymbolDictionaries (aka SystemDictionaries) and you can rearrange them, changing the order that an objects' messages traverse through them: dynamic inheritance. Useful for testing out variations and prototypes, but can make your head spin. I know namespaces are an inevitability, but I'll miss just having the one #Smalltalk.

Why not try it on an image near you? Really - I mean it, on an image 'near you', not your own image - surprise a fellow smalltalker : )

 - Robin