Look and feel

Tim Rowledge rowledge at interval.com
Fri Oct 1 17:05:51 UTC 1999

On Fri 01 Oct, JArchibald at aol.com wrote:
> --> 10/1/99 4:40:42 AM EDT, apeluso at peg.it -->
> << I'd like my image to look more similar to my Mac Finder >>
>
> I want to ask the general question here: ... For _any_ environment, even
> Windoze, what is needed to cause separate execution (within the containing OS
> environment) of a selected executable from the file system? If you can make,
> say, FileList add a menu point to execute the selected file, then basically
> you have a Finder, ... right? All you need to add are definition of the
> environment, parameters, etc. Then you can roll your own user interface to
> fit a desired Look and Feel. Again, right?
Within the limited scope of 'how to launch a program from my app', most OSs
allow you to somehow spawn a process to execute a command.IIRC you can call
DosExec or something like it from windows and pass a string that will then get
treated as a command. Thus DosExec("c:/foo/bar/bilbo.exe") would run the bilbo
program. I'm sure there are lots of details that differ between platforms.
So yes, it should be relatively simple to roll your own
Finder/Exploder/DirBrowser/whatever.

tim

--
"!sgub evah t'nseod CP sihT ?sgub naem ayaddahW"
Tim Rowledge:  rowledge at interval.com (w)  +1 (650) 842-6110 (w)