red/yellow/blue buttons an anachronism?

Ivan Tomek ivan.tomek at acadiau.ca
Fri Oct 1 15:55:30 UTC 1999

I always tell my students to remember the 'word' RYB (red/yellow/blue)
even though it doesn't mean anything, and it seems to work.

I think that the current naming is acceptable and changing it might be
confusing, but the proposed selectionButton, operateButton,
windowButton would make sense - again assuming that the user is
familiar with the use of the buttons.

Ivan

> On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Robert M. Fuhrer wrote:
>
> > Is anyone else bothered by the apparently arbitrary use of
> > "red/yellow/blue" to identify the mouse buttons in the source?
>
> Not me. I always liked it because it's always determined what is
> meant. Left/middle/right is wrong if you switch to lefthand settings.
> Button 1/2/3 aren't that that good because often they're mapped 1/3/2
> so that button #2 is always the rightmost button.
> Primary/secondary/tertiary click describes the intention best (imho)
> but it can easily be confused with the button # thing above.
>
> > I never remember which is which.
>
> Thats easy - get some permanent markers and colorize your mouse :-)
> Also, since changeset 1490 it's documented in #redButtonPressed etc.
>
> > So, is this an anachronism we can live without?
>
> Only if someone offers a significantly better naming scheme.
>
>   /bert

Dr. Ivan Tomek,
Jodrey School of Computer Science
Acadia University
Nova Scotia, Canada
fax: (902) 585-1067
voice: (902) 585-1467

--
All wiyht.  Rho sritched mg kegtops awound?