Squeak on SPARClassic, other speed questions.

John Duncan jddst19+ at pitt.edu
Wed Oct 27 06:58:25 UTC 1999

Anyone running Squeak on a SPARClassic?  What's it like?  I thought I
might get one of these machines (for free) but I'm trying to stop my
habit of getting machines I won't use.

Also, I was wondering.  On my P233 ThinkPad, Morphic is a dog,
especially in 2.6.  I heard people discussing the high speed of
PMacSqueak and the dogginess of IntelSqueak.  The 'lassic, being a
big-endian machine with tons of registers, is supposed to have an
architectural advantage for Squeak over the Intels, but is this enough
to make Morphic fast at low clock rates?

What do you think?

--
"In any event, once Robert Craft forged the Stravinsky-Schoenberg axis
in the 1950s and the eclecticism of the 1960s alleviated the austere