[ENH] BetterFileStamp

Michael Klein Mklein at nts.net
Mon Oct 25 17:35:03 UTC 1999

Random points:

I already implemented ISO 8601 Timestamps for squeak, and used them for
a project,
but nobody who mattered seemed interested.  They worked quite nicely.
(I used the     ChangeSetName.yyyymmddThhmmss.cs     format).

As far as various filesystems standards for what can and cannot be a
filename,
Let's raise the bar.  (Aren't filesytems supposed to maintain the file's
creation time
themselves) (Not to mention maintaining the file's NAME).

Using timestamps for unique id's is a hack.  In a system like Smalltalk
where development
cycle times can be under a second, this can lead to problems.  In any
case it is just
WRONG.  Still, it is usefull.  Dont even get me started on using
Squeak's minute-based timestamps.

It is a good idea to use an invariant associated with the *contents* of
the file.
Patents not-with-standing, MD5 is the canonical choice.  This way you
*know* that you
got the right thing.... no guessing... no wondering about CRLF
stupidity, people re-releaseing under the same version, etc.

You know. (Unless the NSA is a *lot* smarter than we think).

Of course, trying to encode 128 random bits into a filename is
problematic on some systems.
the standard of using hex (for MD5 representations), just wont work on
the Mac (shades of 8.3).

What's the state of Squeak native (filesystems/databases)?  As long as
we continue using
Host OS services, like the filesystem,  we are not cross-platform
portable.

-- Mike Klein

P.S.  Is squeak a cathedral or a bazaar?   Maybe its a cathedral
pretending to be a bizarre (sic)

P.P.S . read anything of Bowbrow's that you can get your hands on