Squeak Mentioned On O'Reilly

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Sun Oct 10 03:25:47 UTC 1999

On Sat, 9 Oct 1999 22:36:45 -0400 "Andrew C. Greenberg" <werdna at gate.net> wrote:
>True, but most cable modem companies (roadrunner, at least) are anal
>about requiring you NOT to serve from your site and attempt to
>enforce it by serving very short-fuse IP address leases.  Of course,
>you can use a dynamic DNS service to finesse the technical problems,
>but you'd still be in violation of the service agreements.

I guess there will be variations. I signed up for DSL with my local ISP and they seemed to be fairly flexible as to what you could do with it. Serving, per se, did not seem to be an issue, but overall traffic was more of a concern. I would suspect that if a couple of swikis did generate *that* much traffic, the ISP might be willing to negotiate a price that covered the load. They already have residential and commercial packages in several bandwidth ranges.

Cheers,
Bob