Add instVar in Process

Tim Rowledge rowledge at interval.com
Wed Oct 6 18:23:44 UTC 1999

On Wed 06 Oct, David N. Smith (IBM) wrote:
> At 9:38 -0700 10/5/99, Xu Wang wrote:
> >I noticed Squeak dose not allow me to add extra instVars in Process. Is
> >there a special reason for it (e.g. hardcode in VM etc.)?
> >I need to add a process context which holds user defined process
> >dependent info.
>
> I was looking at adding one yesterday, but backed off before I tried
> it. In another Smalltalk that I use, processes can be named, and I
> find it useful when a lot of processes are running around.
Dave's message reminded me to look at the VM code quickly for Xu Wang; my
conclusion from a scan is that there ought not be a problem if Process had an
extra instvar or two since the VM only cares that the nextLink,
suspendedContext,  priority and myList are in the same places. Adding instvars
should be ok in this case.

....Just tried it; you get a notifier but simply proceeding from there appears
to do nothing terrible. Didn't blow up or anything.

tim

--
Computers talk to each other worse than their designers do.
Tim Rowledge:  rowledge at interval.com (w)  +1 (650) 842-6110 (w)