[REQUEST] Self running image for Unix type OS's

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Oct 26 09:34:08 UTC 1999

Ian Piumarta <Ian.Piumarta at inria.fr> wrote:
> PPS: Couldn't resist (as usual).  Hope you don't mind...
>
> 'From Squeak2.6 of 11 October 1999 [latest update: #1559] on 26
October 1999 at 2:17:36 pm'!
> "Change Set:		UnixExec
> Date:			26 October 1999
> Author:			Ian Piumarta
>
> Trivial modification to #writeImageFile: to add an exec prefix to the
image.  After saving image XYZ for the first time, do 'chmod +x
XYX.image' to make the image be 'self-interpreting' (make sure 'squeak'
is in somewhere on your PATH)."!

Neat!  But don't you need to modify the image *reader*, too?  Ideally,
one could save a unix-ified image and still have it readable by other
VM's, too.

Incidentally, if you're on Linux, there is a "misc" binary format which
seemingly works fine for Squeak files:

	echo ':Squeak:M::\x66\x19::/home/lex/bin/Squeak:' >
/proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/register

(adjust the path to the location of your Squeak VM).  I don't plan to
use this, but it's kinda neat.  And of course, it still requires that
the VM is separately installed, which means it's not exactly the some
thing as a one-file distribution that many people are going after.

Lex