golgi 0.57 available

michalstarke Michal.Starke at lettres.unige.ch
Fri Oct 15 16:52:55 UTC 1999

chers squeakoyens,

an updated version of the squeak 'outliner', v0.57, is available at http://latl.unige.ch/lmc/squeak/ . The most visible and useful changes - apart from solidity - are probably:
- drag&drop: you can drag&drop headers within and across outlines
- 'multiple moms': a header can be a daughter of several different headers. Ie. if you drag&drop a header while holding the shift key down, the moved header will be added in the new place but not taken out of the initial location. This way a note can be relevant to several different topics (sometimes called 'cloning'?)
- 'hoist' : you can open a new outliner window on a subheader of the current outline

There are dozens of smaller underlying features, but those will flower only in future versions, if at all ;-)

The goal for the next version (0.58) is to clean up the internals (which accumulated a lot of crust through experimentations with different internal architectures) and fix all remaining glitches, before going on to new explorations (0.6+). So if you find glitches, please report them to me now! I'll try to upload my changesets for the next version (0.58p*)  regularly, so that the most stable combo is always available.

michal

misc ps:

- mac users: i had no access to a .sit.hqx-making software, but the uploaded zip file uncompressed just fine on the mac i tested it on (for some reason the tgz file only works on unix.)
- this version does not contain the code-editor, on temporary hiatus
- one bug was not squashed in 0.57: in large paragraphs, the editor sometimes mysteriously stalls, looses the cursor and then freezes. Seems to be something about the deep internals of PluggableTextMorph... A cmd-. followed by a collapse/re-expand of the outline window seem to help, temporarily.