Byte order and ByteArray conversions

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Oct 31 16:37:59 UTC 1999

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but I'd like to be able to convert
integers to and from byte arrays in native machine byte ordering, without
resorting to a new primitive.

1) Does Squeak know the byte order convention of the hardware it's running
on? I can't find any method to query for this.

2) Class ByteArray knows how to convert itself into integers, given that
you can tell it the answer to question 1.  Is there any existing method
for converting an integer into a four byte array?

Thanks.