Forget O'Reilly, Lets talk servers!

Les Tyrrell tyrrell at canis.uiuc.edu
Sat Oct 9 23:10:07 UTC 1999

JArchibald at aol.com wrote:

> --> 10/9/99 4:53:16 PM EDT, tyrrell at canis.uiuc.edu -->
> << What a crock >>
>
> I agree completely!

me too :) ( probably not allowed under netiquette... )

> However, it would be nice to be able to say:
>     (1) there was an accessible scripting language somewhere within Squeak
>         (for composition of platform dependent function)
>         [I think this could take a substantial amount of new primitive development]

I'd prefer Smalltalk for that- for instance, Smalltalk/V used Smalltalk
statements in a disk file to choose which display resolution to use, and
whether to use hard disk or floppies when starting up.  It was easy to read,
and easy to change.  Easy to screw up, too.  But still easy to change.

>     (2) Web hosters were willing to run Squeak based servers
>         (without heavy-duty special arrangements)
>         [I think someone would have to see the possibilities of establishing
>         a server within a current domain hosting provider and
>         resell Squeak hosting to others for competitive rates].
>
> I am jealous as hell of academics who can run PWS, and even better,
> experiment with server ideas (based on PWS, or whatever) within an open
> source framework and usable by the world.

We should work on that... once upon a time the same could have been said about
web servers, or ftp servers.    I'm in the academic world, so I get to hang
PWS and Wiki servers off my workstation.  But perhaps there are folks out there
who could host Wiki servers for folks like yourself.  Perhaps there'd be grant
money in it for the academics?  I wouldn't know how to set something like that
up commercially, but perhaps there would be enough interest to make a decent go
of it, if even on a non-profit basis.

Any ISP's out there willing to give it a try?  It would take some experimenting
to get it "right"- I would have no idea what the technical pragmatics are.  But
it might be worthwhile.  Perhaps a Swiki/Wiki cooperative non-profit organization
could be formed, or perhaps some entrepeneur could make a go of it.

les