Where's the source?

JArchibald at aol.com JArchibald at aol.com
Sun Oct 31 02:17:09 UTC 1999

Hello Ross,

I hope I'm not going to tell you something you might already know about
Squeak. Squeak, as do all Smalltalk variants (to a greater or lessor extent),
provides all source for the entire application environment. First though you
have to get within the environment to work. The home page 'squeak.org' will
lead you to appropriate download information. Download a package for your
platform which includes four files (VM, Image, Changes, Source). Run it. From
the 'desktop' select open>>Browser. At that point you are looking at all the
source (for the entire system, as well as the Smalltalk to C converter for
creating the VM=virtual machine).

The mailing list archives are broken (thus the Forbidden message); we have
not been able to determine why at this point.

Version 2.6 is the current version. But the download archives (=> Squeak.org)
provide all versions for download.

Usually facilities which have been previously available (such as mentioned
for 2.4c, a very recent version), have been updated, or often will be updated
if you request so from the submitter.

Hope this helps,

Jerry Archibald
systemObjectivesIncorporated

=> 10/30/99 9:40:13 PM EDT, RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org =>
<< I'd like to get the source for the VM for the current squeak (2.6).  At the
 moment I'm on Windows NT.
 I've looked around the download site and the squeak.org site, and I can't
 find it.

 I did see an indication that the Unix source was available, but I'd like
 something I can rebuild if I want to.  I might want to link in some C++
 code.  I don't know if I need the VM source to do that, but I'd like to
 have it  in any event.

 By the way, I tried going to the discussion archives from the main site,
 and I got a permission error.

 Also, I noticed that some items have particular versions of squeak
 attached.  For example, on of the persistence frameworks says it's for
 2.4c.  Are these likely to work if I try them with 2.6? >>