[ENH] BetterFileStamp

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Oct 26 09:00:31 UTC 1999

"Pennell, David" <dpennell at quallaby.com> wrote:

> So far, the only real objection I've seen to using the ISO format is
> that it consumes about 15 characters of the 32 character Mac file
> name limit.  Add in the dots and the cs and you are left with only
> 13 characters for your ChangeSet name.
>
> Perhaps an alternative implementation is to just number them
sequentially.
> There is already a time stamp in the change set for the change set and
> on each method, and one in the host file system.
>
> I would be happy to see:
>
> myChangeSet.1
> myChangeSet.2
> myChangeSet.3

I'm not real keen on having a date in the filename, either.  I hacked
the date completely out of my changeset writing code (in
ChangeSet>>fileOut, imagine that), and now just increment a manual
version count whenever I feel the need.  At a glance, MuSwiki3-5.cs is
more informative to me than anything like 04May98MuSwiki.cs.

Lex