Lampson/Thacker to do Dynabook?

David LeBlanc whisper at accessone.com
Wed Sep 1 08:39:53 UTC 1999

If I could have the features of an HP Journada with the form factor of a
Clio, a 1280x1024 screen, stereo sound, integrated Calligrapher software,
Win/CE 3.0 with it's support for up to 256mb of memory fulfilled and
running Squeak on it, i'd feel like i'd died and gone to heaven.
A native Squeak OS or Linux-lite would be just fine too!

As it is, i'm getting an HP Journada with 32 mb of memory and getting
Squeak onto it somehow... whenever the money shows up. Squeak in the field
for a solid 8 hours (as tested). Across the Pacific on two batteries.

Dave LeBlanc

At 10:00 PM 8/31/99 -0700, Tim Rowledge wrote:
>Yet another project to do a Dynabook. Maybe they'll be able to get further
>than the ones I've been involved with?  (Annoyingly, this requires a (free)
>subscription.)
>

>WILL THE FUTURE OF COMPUTING BE WRITTEN ON A TABLET?
>Enlisting the talents of two computer designers who were part of Alan Kay's
>legendary team at Xerox's Palo Alto Research Center in the 1970s, Microsoft
>has plans for developing a portable, wireless, keyboardless "tablet
>computer."  Although generally similar devices developed by Apple, Go Corp.,
>and AT&T were commercial failures in the past decade, Microsoft is betting
>that the current rapid convergence of display, processing, storage and other
>technologies is finally setting the stage for commercial tablet computers
>using handwriting or speech input.  (One recent development has been
>Microsoft's introduction of its Cleartype software that improves the
>readability of fonts on flat panel computer displays.)  The two designers
>who will lead the new Microsoft tablet computer effort are Chuck Thacker and
>Butler Lampson.  Lampson says, "I think this will be the way most people
>interact with the Net and the rest of the computing universe as well."
>Thacker injects a personal note:  "I've always wanted this kind of device,
>and in systems research one of the most motivating things is that you want
>the device yourself."  (New York Times 30 Aug 99)
>http://search.nytimes.com/search/daily/bin/fastweb?getdoc+site+site+82844+0
+wAAA+tablet%7Eand%7E%22research%7Ecenter%22