Exceptions - minor tweak

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Thu Sep 23 17:44:56 UTC 1999

Stephen -

>First, having the EH framework without the integration of exceptions into the class libraries is of
>marginal value. I'd recommend including the change set I put out that uses EH in numbers, collections,
>streams, IO, etc. (In the discussion of this a few weeks ago, there was general agreement about the
>system-level exceptions, the long and detailed proceedings were more related to how one models the core
>layers of exceptions, errors, and interrupts. Did the TFEI group respond to this and update their
>system?) The full files for my extensions are in
>ftp://ftp.create.ucsb.edu/pub/Squeak/goodies/ExcHandling/ExcHandling.sit.hqx

Well, the first goal was to get it out and thus simplify life for those who are needing exceptions, and to begin the process of using them in the core system *where appropriate*.

Obviously it will be aprropriate where there is already some exception mechanism in use.  There remains a further issue as to whether the system is rearchitected to run by exceptions, and I'm opposed to this.  Hopefully we can come up with a tasteful and small set of changes so that exceptions, where called for, are dealt with uniformly according to the ANSI norm.

>Second, I'd like to suggest a policy that we don't "pollute" the class category hierarchy with
>corporate (or personal) names. In my release, I moved all the TFEI-* categories to "System-Exceptions."

Yes, i will do this as we move to 2.6final.  During alpha I'm trying to reduce my time spent per function delivered to the test pilots.

>As you know, I distribute and use a 6-paned browser (the PackageBrowser) and there's a constant
>struggle to keep the number of top-level category packages to a reasonable size. My current 2.6a
>categorization includes:
> ('Kernel' 'Collections' 'Graphics' 'Music' 'Interface' 'System' 'Network' 'Balloon' 'Morphic' 'VRML'
>'Wonderland' )
>I would beg SC to "compact" the current categorization so as to put the MM categories under Morphic,
>fold the TFEI and Werdna cateegories into System, place NetTools under Network, etc. (Adding the
>PackageBrowser would be a great idea, too!)

Roger.

>Cheers, and *thanks* for 2.6a!!!

The thanks go to all.  It's very cool stuff.

	- Dan