Recommended WinCE for Squeak?

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Sep 24 13:59:57 UTC 1999

>     As far as I know, the Casio E-105 is the fastest WinCE device currently
>available, and using Andreas Raab's 2.4 VM with a 2.5 image, Morphic is
>not real
>pleasant.  I'm fairly certain that this is a software problem. Andreas feels
>that it's not a problem with his VM implementation.  That would narrow it to a
>problem in the image, or a WinCE problem.  Personally, I haven't ruled out a
>WinCE VM problem yet, but I haven't found the "smoking gun" yet in either the
>image or VM, and I've been concentrating on the image side.
>
>     Under MVC, the E-105 is quite usable, but as I've mentioned in earlier
>discussions about Squeak on the E-105, there are a number of issues UI
>that need
>to be dealt with for pen based interfaces, and Morphic only adds to that.

I'm actually seriously considering an E-105, for the reasons you mention.
The problem, however, is *FINDING* one!  I've tried literally a half-dozen
sites, and EVERY ONE OF THEM has the E-105 back-ordered.

>     I really haven't found where the CPU time is getting consumed, but I
>think
>the E-105 *should* be more than fast enough to run Squeak acceptably in
>Morphic.
>I basically bought my E-105 to run Squeak on, so I am spending whatever time I
>can looking into this.  I hope you decide to go with the E-105, since a
>"power"
>Squeaker like you may be able to track down the bottlenecks I've been hunting
>for a lot faster.
>

>                                   -Dean Swan
>                                   dean_swan at mitel.com

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Dean, but I still consider myself a
Squeak adolescent (except where it comes to those VM and primitives issues
where I'm downright infantile!)  But if I can get one (or two!) of the
E-105's, I can place them in our "Squeakers" Lab where the REAL hackers
around here hangout, I think that magic can occur :-)

Mark

(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu