[BUG][FIX?] Discrepancies in Low Level Object Header tests

Tim Rowledge rowledge at interval.com
Thu Sep 2 04:26:15 UTC 1999

On Wed 01 Sep, Andrew C. Greenberg wrote:
> InterpreterProxy>>isIndexable: oop appears to operate inconsistently
> with its ObjectMemory counterpart, operating directly on classes
> rather than on instances of the classes, as do its counterparts
> isWords, etc.
It's certainly odd looking, but I suspect that noone has noticed any
problem because it appears to not be used!

In general the proxy code needs to work as Smalltalk when simulated and yet
keep the right name so that the translated sqVirtualMachine.c file will
simply indirect #isIndexable straight to the isIndexable() function in the
interp.c file. So the 'bug' you're looking at doesn't affect the VM at all!
The other similar testing methods indirect to the oop's class, so your
suggestion seems correct for the image code.

Mind you, I can't find any ObjectMemory implementation of #isIndexable, only an
Interpreter one; you are looking at a 2.5 image? The method seems to be in
'plugin support' category, rather than the more logical seeming place in
ObjectMemory.

tim

--
Useful random insult:- Couldn't tell which way the elevator was going if he had two guesses.
Tim Rowledge:  rowledge at interval.com (w)  +1 (650) 842-6110 (w)