Squeak on handheld?

Edward P Luwish eluwish at uswest.com
Tue Sep 28 21:14:51 UTC 1999

Actually, this project is what got me involved in the Squeak porting effort to begin
with.

When the linux-7k folks started discussing GUIs, a number of candidates came up (I
originally proposed Tcl/Tk because of the large body of portable applications) and
someone mentioned Squeak.  Because I have been involved with Smalltalk for years, I
didn't know why I hadn't thought of it first - not only is it a GUI, but a
development system and a quick way to implement all the PDA applications that I
would lose by switching from EPOC to Linux.

However, the current state of linux-7k is not robust enough to support Squeak, in my
opinion.  It doesn't boot reliably and, like you, I am not thrilled to risk wiping
my C: drive clean.  Some folks have reported having to take all the batteries out of
the Psion and let it stand overnight in order to recover from a lock-up.  Even if I
had a second Psion to play with, I would want the operating system to at least be
stable enough to let me distinguish between an OS failure and a Squeak failure.

All things considered, I think EPOC Squeak would be more likely to be downloaded and
installed than linux-7k Squeak because it can coexist with the PDA applications.
For testing purposes (and Squeak evangelism) we need to appeal to the largest
possible audience.

Ed