Lampson/Thacker to do Dynabook?

Steve Wart swart at home.com
Wed Sep 1 13:19:44 UTC 1999

Microsoft's (not-so hidden) agenda here has to be to save themselves from
the mess they've created with WinCE.

All the apps have to be recompiled for different platforms/architectures
because WinCE is not a VM technology.

My guess is that their spec will contain a hardware CPU requirement so they
can create another "Wintel" monopoly for the PDA world (although it may not
be an Intel chip they spec).

The alternatives are:

a. The dominant technology is another VM-based PDA OS (not likely, I'm
afraid)
b. The Palm product line becomes the dominant technology (leaving Microsoft
   with dominance of the soon-to-be obsolete desktop platform)

It's possible that they will come up with a VM-based spec, but the C++
bigots hold the political power and such a spec is more likely to be
sabotaged than not.

Steve

e+82844+0+wAAA+tablet%7Eand%7E%22research%7Ecenter%22

--
New: It comes in different colors from the previous version.
Tim Rowledge:  rowledge at interval.com (w)  +1 (650) 842-6110 (w)