Squeak stability in large aquisition and data processing project ...

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Sep 28 15:52:49 UTC 1999

There are a group of us at Georgia Tech exploring something similar.  I
don't think that the computation abilities of Squeak are significantly
different than C++ (though, not being a Computational Scientist, I may be
missing important points).  But what Squeak offers as a unique strength is
the ability to create and prototype frontends to the acquisition and
analysis pieces.  For example, we have been playing with using MuSwiki to
provide shared access to large data sets or large simulations running on
external servers, and then to use the Viewer tools or the Components
framework to wire together analyses on these data sets.

We don't have a lot of results so-far.  We've got MuSwiki, and we've been
developing various Telnet-based tools to sit behind these front-ends.  And
we've written several rejected proposals so far to fund continued effort :-)

Mark

(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu