[ENH] Converting PowerPoint to BookMorphs

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Sep 23 19:56:56 UTC 1999

I've placed a change set at
http://guzdial.cc.gatech.edu/squeakers/PPTtoBook.cs that provides two new
menu items to BookMorphs which allow you to load PowerPoint presentations
into a BookMorph, one slide per page.

Here's how to do it:
- Save your PowerPoint presentation as GIF.  This saves each slide as a
file named Slide1, Slide2, etc. in a new directory under the name you
specify.
- Create a new BookMorph.
- Choose from the BookMorph menu "Load PPT images from Slide #1"
- You'll get the StandardFileMenu dialog (cool widget, Andrew!).  Select Slide1

That's it -- all the images will get loaded into your book.  I've tried
things like charts and clip art, and it seems that PowerPoint merges all of
these when it creates the GIFs.

However, you sometimes don't get the result that you might like.
PowerPoint saves out transparent colors where it expects the background
color to show through. If your page color is still the default white, your
slides won't look right. So, I also added a BookMorph menu item "set pages
background color".  Choose that, pick your color, and all the pages will
get their color set appropriately.

All the standard book features (e.g., sorting) seem to work with this
tweak.  I have successfully tested saving out the books as books, then

Only caveat I've found is that this can eat up LOADS of memory, so beware
of memory limitations.

Mark

(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu