Markup Language (SGML/XML) Parsing/Processing?

"G–ran" Hultgren gohu at rocketmail.com
Tue Sep 21 08:20:22 UTC 1999

Hi all!

(warning: longish post about XML/CORBA/Python)

---David Cramer <dacramer at videon.wave.ca> wrote:
> I just got back from XML World. A few programming/scripting
languages are
> commonly being used for parsing/processing XML. Smalltalk was not
> mentioned. I mentioned it one day, to subtle ridicule.

Slightly off topic:

Python seems to have some good XML/HTML stuff (and a thousand other
things).

I have been playing with a thought of creating a Squeak plugin
integrating a Python interpreter into Squeak to be able to use Python
objects and classes transparently. Python in turn uses Swig a lot to
bring in external libraries, if Squeak had a good integration with
Python we would get a lot of stuff "for free".

Having studied Python a while it seems Python as a language is like
Smalltalk with a not so frightening (for others that is) syntax :-), a
more conventional architecture (source in files etc.) BUT lacking the
totally beautiful environment of Smalltalk... On the other hand Python
has a LOT of cool stuff, like wxPython for instance.

The Python and Squeak community could perhaps live in symbiosis (is it
called that?) where Pythonians seems to be world class "integrators"
with a "make it work" attitude, and Squeakers are perhaps more like
"visionaries" in search of... well. :-) Who knows what!

Then going in another direction perhaps CORBA support in Squeak would
cover Python and other stuff as well... BUT, on the other hand it
could be much easier to integrate a Python interpreter. And Python has
CORBA support! :-)

[SNIP]
> It would be nice if a few Squeakers were interested in working on
building
> in as
> much support as possible for the processing of markup languages. It's

My two tips would be:

Dave Newman who had a mostly working version of T-Gen for Squeak back
in mars - please - post it! :-) I do not care for the UI as long as I
can use it in a workspace! T-Gen would be a very nice tool to use for
building parsers of all kinds.

Duane Maxwell who had a "well-formedness" XML parser working also back
in mars. How is it going along Duane?

> pretty clear that despite the general ignorance, confusion, and hype
about
> what markup languages provide in the context of data exchange and
> presentation, the XML wave is big and getting bigger. If Java takes
over
[SNIP]

Oh, yes. We are actually betting heavily on XML in my current project
(in Java though...).

regards, G–ran

===
G–ran Hultgren, gohu at rocketmail.com, icq#:6136722
GSM: +46 709 472152, http://195.22.65.4
"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you.
Then they fight you. Then you win." -- Gandhi