Capslock vs. shift

Marcel Weiher marcel at metaobject.com
Wed Sep 22 12:53:56 UTC 1999

> I wanted to remap CAPSLOCK as CONTROL under LinuxPPC (I'm a
hardcore Emacs
> fanatic
> with a consequent occasionally inflamed tendon due to CONTROL
being in totally
> the
> wrong place on "non-Unix" [i.e. almost all] keyboards ;-).  On the
Mac, pressing
> CAPSLOCK generates a "SHIFT down" event from the Cuda, and
pressing it again
> generates a "SHIFT up".  I tried for many hours - hacking deep
down in the Cuda
> driver code, let alone at the X server or application level - but
could not alter
> the
> behaviour.  The nearest I got was a "locking" CONTROL key (not
very useful).  I'm
> afraid we're stuck with it.

Yes, there was a note from some Apple engineers that it is not
possible to remap these keys.  My solution:  I got a NeXT ADB
keyboard from www.deepspacetech.com.  Sensible control-key placement,
neato command-bar (may not be for everybody), pipe and backslash
where you need them, black.  Problem is that not all magic
key-sequences are supported, some people don't like the feel,
expensive to ship to europe.  For me, the balance is definitely
positive.

Marcel