Swiki with 2.5: Saving a page takes very long on Netscape

Pieber Bernhard bernhard.pieber at sbs.at
Mon Sep 6 17:07:24 UTC 1999

I am trying out a Swiki under Squeak 2.5 for NT. I serve to myself on port
8089 so I use http://localhost:8089/myswiki.1 to access the front page. It
works well except that when I change the front page and press the Save
button it takes about 30 seconds until the page is saved. This only happens
when I use Netscape 4.5. Under IE 5.0 this does not happen although I use
identical proxy settings. So I assume that I am suffering from some browser
configuration problem?

I use a proxy server but have disabled it for localhost. I think that I have
to do that for a Swiki because otherwise it happens that I see old versions
when I edit a page more than once. (I would prefer if this would not be
necessary. Aren't there ways to tell the proxy server never to cache a Swiki
page? I remember vaguely having read somewhere about such a feature.)

When I enable the proxy server for localhost the delay is gone even under
Netscape.

Does anyone know why this delay is happening? Can I do anything about it
besides moving to IE?

I use the new Windows VM (Squeak 2.5 VM (release build 1) from Aug 30 1999)
and I have fetched the latest updates (up to update number 1419). The proxy
server is registered in Squeak also.

Bernhard Pieber