User Interface nuance: hanging

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at gate.net
Mon Sep 6 16:10:52 UTC 1999

Every now and then while Squeaking, we arrive at some inconsistent
user interface state.  You know, a bit of the screen is munged
graphically, a list's highlighting is set so that an item is
hilighted when deselected and vice-versa; that sort of thing.

Though I'm not yet a Smalltalk GUI maven, I thought a perspicacious
report of some repeatable outstanding bugs might be useful to those
who do this sort of thing for real.

For example, consider the following experiment in MVC:

	1.  Open a workspace.
	2.  Type "3 inspect," and then select doIt from the scrollbar
menu.  Note that the scrollbar correctly disappears as the workspace
window is deactivated as the inspector is activated.
	3.  Now, do the same thing, but hit command-D.  Note that the
scrollbar remains.  Clearly this is not the intended state, as
selecting "restore display" redraws the screen without the scrollbar,
per example 2 above.

I belive this may be responsible for some of the pixel spore
occasionally hanging around my desktop.  Not a problem, as "restore
display" tends to fix it all, but perhaps there is a simple fix for
this one?

Morphic appears to behave responsibly in this regard.