Squeak on handheld?

"G–ran" Hultgren gohu at rocketmail.com
Fri Sep 24 06:13:07 UTC 1999

Hi all handheld searchers!

(This is a babbling post about the Nino as a Squeaker-device)

--- John Tobler <squeakie at visto.com> wrote:
[SNIP]
> Here's my personal wish list.
>
> * I want something with functioning browsers,
>   so that I can study the Squeak hierarchy
>   in my few spare moments.

I have successfully run Squeak2. errr 4 I think on a Nino-8Mb (I think it is called Nino 302).
Since then the Nino has come out in new models so a Nino should be available for a reasonable
price second hand. I have two that I want to sell for, say... 200$ each.

Since the Nino has 8Mb RAM (and a compact flash slot so a lot of stuff can be crammed in there!)
space for a decent image is ok. I only tested the small image around 512 kb but hey - the source
is there! Well, without comments but hey...

Performance wise a Nino 302 is 50 times slower than a P-233Mhz laptop PC. But the UI felt quite
snappy nevertheless!

[SNIP]
> * Laptops, kneetops, and palmtops are too big --
>   the thingie must be able to accompany me on
>   a walk, a bus, an airplane, into a restaurant,
>   and (especially) into the "little programmers'
>   room."  No, it doesn't have to survive the
>   shower.

The Nino is slightly larger than a PalmPilot - but that small difference might very well be "too
big".

> * Color would be nice but not required.

Nino 302 - no color. But 320x200 pixels compared to the PalmPilot.

> * I'm not sure I could justify the bucks for
>   an E105.  I'd like to find something
>   workable for under $300.
>
> * I would prefer to avoid paying usury to
>   the Evil Empire.

Sorry... I feel the same way. That is why I am selling them! :-)

> * I live in beautiful San Diego, so my erstwhile
>   electronic companion must have certain beach
>   survival skills.

Know nothing about that... My personal opinion of the Nino is that it was a little bit too large -
that WinCE is bulky, slow and too much "Windows". And that the Nino was a dash unrealiable - I
lost my RAM twice even though it has a backup battery...

regards, G–ran

=====
G–ran Hultgren, gohu at rocketmail.com, icq#:6136722
GSM: +46 709 472152, http://195.22.65.4
"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you.
Then they fight you. Then you win." -- Gandhi