newbie silly question

Doug Way dway at mat.net
Wed Sep 29 22:30:25 UTC 1999

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Adriano wrote:

> Hello evrybody.
>
> I'm in a morphic project; in a workspace, I type: "
>
> a_AlignmentMorph new.
> a openInWorld
> "
> I select all and type Option-P (Print it)
>
> From now on, EVERY message I want to send to my morph must be sent to the
> "a" variable.
>
> Now, in the workspace, I type: "
>
> AlignmentMorph new openInSpace
>
> "
>
> and print it. In this case, who shall I send the messages to?

In this case, you don't have a variable which you can send messages to
from within the workspace.

However, since you're using Morphic, you can just inspect the morph
directly via the halo, and send it messages that way.  To do this,
command(or alt)-click on the morph itself (after you've opened it) so that
the halo appears with the colored circles.  Then select the gray "Debug"
circle on the right, and select "inspect" (or "explore") from the menu.
Now, in the lower pane of the inspector, you can send messages to "self",
by typing something like "self position: 50 at 70" and then "do it"/"print
it".

Another alternative is to use "inspect it" instead of "print it" in your
workspace, then you'll immediately have the inspector to use.

Or, you could just tack your extra messages onto the original command,
such as: "AlignmentMorph new openInWorld position: 50 at 70" and then "print
it".

(What the heck, I'll add this to the FAQ on the Swiki.)

- Doug Way
  EAI/Transom Technologies, Ann Arbor, MI
  http://www.transom.com
  dway at mat.net, @eai.com