File-ins/change set formats and a "diff view"

Bert Freudenberg bert at isgnw.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De
Fri Sep 24 14:52:43 UTC 1999

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999, Robert M. Fuhrer wrote:

> Wow, I had no idea.  Obviously I have some more exploring to do to find
> more of these goodies!  Most of my earlier experience with Smalltalk is
> with Apple's Smalltalk-80 implementation circa 1986.  Obviously a fair
> amount has been done since then... :-)

Welcome to Squeak! :-)

> At the same time, the present file-in format can't do part of what I
> was talking about, namely, presenting a diff view relative to the image
> on which the file-in was *created*. [I.e., if I create the file-in, people to
> whom I send it can see the diffs relative to my system, not theirs.]
>
> As implemented, the present mechanism can only completely replace
> your current version, possibly squashing existing changes that are in
> in your current version but not in the file-in.

You're right about this. It would be a very valuable feature. I don't see
an easy way to do this, though. We could save the original method version
(which would have to be declared as such some how) along with the new
version when filing out a change set.  When filing in and the original
version differs from the current version a three-way merge of changes
could be applied. Any takers? :-)

  /bert