Squeak and Java, Morphic Graphic effects

agree at carltonfields.com agree at carltonfields.com
Wed Sep 1 13:47:02 UTC 1999

A common question I am asked by clients is, "hey, can I just go ahead and use this ----?"  Unless there is a blanket license sufficient to embody the desired "use," such an answer is always expensive to find out, and rarely can the answer be stated unequivocally.

There is another way.  Ask permission.  Most folks out there would be tickled as all get out that you would like to use their (non-commercial) stuff, and will give you consent to use.  Consent is a 100% defense to infringement claims, and in my experience typically easy to come by.

On the question of a copyright notice, don't let the absence of one encourage you to think the work is not protected!  For modern works (post-1978), copyright vested automatically upon fixation in tangible media.  For published works after 1988, the validity of a copyright was unaffected by the failure to attach a notice.  Many people reasonably sophisticated in Copyright will routinely affix notice as a matter of course, and the more sophisticated an owner, the more likely they will give routine consents to non-troublesome uses.

Accordingly, notice simply doesn't matter.  The presence of a notice does not mean that consent won't (or hasn't already) be given.  The absence of a notice doesn't mean that consent would not be necessary.