New Palm Compatible

Edward P Luwish eluwish at uswest.com
Thu Sep 23 19:06:56 UTC 1999

EPOC32 is owned by Symbian PLC, which is a joint venture of Psion, Nokia,
Ericsson, Motorola and Matsushita.  Symbian offers the entire development system
as a free download or a CDROM for shipping cost.  The bad news is that it relies
heavily on Windows, especially Visual C++, for prototyping and final packaging of
the installable application.  The good news is I have all that stuff.

Someone mentioned the memory model as an obstacle for PalmOS development.  On the
Psion, ALL data memory (pure and impure) must be allocated from the heap, which
means that Tim Rowledge has been developing a variation of the interpreter that
has no static variables in it - everything will be accessed from a struct
allocated before calling the interpret function (and with its pointer as a
parameter to interpret).  Is this requirement similar to PalmOS's?  If so, we are
already halfway there.

Ed