To make String and Symbol ANSI compliant regarding #=

Raab, Andreas Andreas.Raab at disney.com
Mon Apr 17 04:10:28 UTC 2000

[Not trying to get into this discussion for real ;-]

> Not so long time ago Andreas Raab told me, that Symbols are treated as
> Strings in Squeak (I think the question was, if there are constraints
> how to give String-like parameters to primitives).

I didn't say that exactly. I said that there are many primitives for which
both, Strings and Symbols will work since a common test for 'stringyness' is
to check if the class format is byte indexed. Therefore as long as symbols
are byte indexed we're just fine but if we want to change that a couple of
primitives need to be looked at.

  - Andreas