[Newbie Alert] really dumb question

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Thu Apr 20 16:23:05 UTC 2000

"Torge Husfeldt" <jean-jaques.gelee at gmx.de> wrote...
>To once again point out the advantages of a
><ChangeRecord> approach:
>1)You could file in a ChangeSet and later check if all of
>it's code is still in place without finding (or actually knowing)
>the original file.
>2)You could put code in a changeSet that programmatically
>changes methods in your image and still file it out for others
>to read that don't have those changes applied (in which case
>they won't need the changeset anyway). (I stumbled over this
>once and posted completely useless code to the list (anyone
>remembers purgeIsKindOf?))
>3) You would already have a simple version management system.
>(something like a categorized undo/redo history for system changes).

In the next couple of days we will be sending out a completely new implementation of changeSets, essentially along these lines.  They have been merged with the funcionality of Ted's isolated project mechanism, so that you can actually invoke and revoke changeSets upon entry to and exit from projects.  There are many aspects to this which I will detail at the time, and there are several that are not complete at this time.  I'll try to get this out by Friday so you can play with it and critiques while the rest gets finished.  Some of the things you mention are essentially done, and some of the others would be very easy to add in the new framework.