[Newbie Alert] really dumb question

John Denver magesmail at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 20 00:31:30 UTC 2000

Hello all,
I'm a refugee from the world of java programming and
I've heard god things about smalltalk so I thought I'd
give it a try.
The simplicity of smalltalk is mind boggling.Somehow I
find I can think about what I want to do rather than
how to do it (as compared to Java).

However there is something I've not been able to
figure out.I tried "filing out" a category and got a
nice ".st" file.This was more or less what I
exxpected.
However when I tried the reverse it didn't work!!

Let me explain what exactly I'm trying to do.

I want the following effect.
1.i create a category in which i create new classes,
play around with them till I am satisfied.
2.When i'm done I file out this category (let's call
it MyCategory) and I get a nice MyCategory.st file.
3.I exit squeak *without* saving!!
4,When I start squeak again I want to open the
MyCategory.st file and invoke a "filein".
What I want to do is for this category to appear in
the Browser window so I can continue adding classes
etc.
 I guess what I'm trying to do is to maintain "my
code" in a separate "outside-the-image" file.
How do I do this?
"Open the .st file from squeak and invke fileIn
doesn't seem to work!!"
Am i doing something really dumb?
Help!
And thanks in advance,