Warning! Two Newbie questions!

Ivan Brusic ibrusic at wsicorp.com
Sun Apr 16 15:17:58 UTC 2000

Aaron J Reichow wrote:

> My second questions is regarding MIDI facilities.  I began implementing a
> project in Python, but decided to try doing it in Squeak (for a bunch of
> reasons!).  One of the things I need to do, is output a string of music
> (presumably a Collection of instr objects or an AbstractSound
> noteSequenceOn: instr object), to a MIDI file.  Whilst browsing the
> classes, and doing a search, I only came up with a MIDIFileReader.

Currently there is no MIDIFileWriter in Squeak.  I have tried to create
one, but the problem is that the MIDIFileReader removes so much needed
information from MIDI files, that writing them out is difficult due to
the missing info.

Another alternative is to use SIREN
(http://www.create.ucsb.edu/Siren/index.html).  Siren is Squeak with
additional classes oriented toward music.  The problem with Siren is
that it use so OS-dependant primitive calls and as of now, only a Mac
version exists.

Hope this helps,

Ivan

--

Ivan Brusic                          |  "Computers are nothing but a
perfect