[BUG] Update-from-server time slows down after update 1800

Doug Way dway at mat.net
Sun Apr 30 23:51:28 UTC 2000

I happened to try using "update from server" to update a Squeak 2.7 image
to 2.8alpha.

For updates 1765 to 1799, there is about a 2 second delay between the time
one progress bar dissappears and the next one appears.  But after update
1800, the delay jumps up to about 20 seconds between every update.  This
is on Windows NT.

But I tried updating from the exact same image on SGI/Irix, but it's fine,
the delay stays at about 2 seconds between updates.

Then I figured I might as well try my Mac at home (with a 56K modem), and
it seems to have the same problem that Windows has.  Weird.

I did a alt-. during the 20 seconds, and it's sitting in
Semaphore>>waitTimeoutMSecs:, where msecs is 20000. (kind of makes sense)

(On Windows NT, I also tried updating from a saved 2.8alpha image which
happened to start at update 1919... this one only had 2 second delays.)

Anyway, the problem is pretty annoying... basically, if you try to update
a 2.7 image to 2.8alpha on Windows or a Mac, it takes a *long* time, about
90 minutes longer than it should.

- Doug Way
  EAI/Transom Technologies, Ann Arbor, MI
  http://www.transom.com