MorphDock (was RE: UI Opinions)

Scott Wallace Scott.Wallace at disney.com
Thu Apr 27 16:55:13 UTC 2000

A simple version of what's being called a "MorphDock" that can be
directly constructed with today's Squeak using flaps, simply by
setting a few options appropriately.

Here's a way to build a dock that behaves like the one Russell Allen
suggests below:

(1)  Create a new global flap at the bottom of the screen.
	(enable global flaps if not already done, then choose
         'new global flap' from windows-and-flaps menu.)

(2)  Drag the new flaps's tab to make it perhaps 2 cm high.

(3)  Bring up the halo menu on the new flap tab, and "keep that menu up".

(4)  Set the following options from the tab's menu:
	* use solid tab
	* flap color... (and then choose an attractive, translucent color)
	* tab color...  (and then choose an attractive, translucent color)

(5)  Bring up the halo menu for the open flap (not the tab, but
rather the open flap itself -- the halo tile will say "flap" rather
than "flap tab"), choose "playfield options...", and "keep that menu
up".

(6)  Set the following two items from that "playfield options..." menu:
	* start showing thumbnails
	* start doing auto-line-layout

(7)  Now go back to the *tab's* menu and choose
	* start opening on dragover

(8)  Dismiss any lingering color-pickers and menus, and try it out.

Since you created this as a "global" flap, it will stay up and
function equally in all morphic projects, and indeed will provide a
handy way to move morphs from project to project.

The dock can accommodate any number of morphs inside it, and they
will never obscure one another; when there are more than one
screen-width's worth, you can just open the flap a little farther to
get at the next "line" of thumbnails.

   -- Scott