[BUG] equivalence between strings and symbols

Henrik Gedenryd Henrik.Gedenryd at lucs.lu.se
Wed Apr 12 16:20:16 UTC 2000

Dan wrote,

>>> Now, Stephan, the true Squeaker does not ask such a question ;-).

Dan,

I have to defend Stephan here. I'm very surprised, but your method is in
direct violation of proper Smalltalk style--*never implement yourself what
you can achieve by passing messages to others*:

Dan>>evaluate: idea

    ^self test: idea

Stephan>>evaluate: idea

    | result |
    result _ squeakCommunity pitch: idea.
    ^result ifNil: [self test: idea]

Especially since the sole instance of Dan often possesses much better test:
methods than your own implementation. Obviously, this last fact explains why
the latter implementation doesn't yield much leverage for 'Dan
soleInstance'.

This may also explain why we non-SqC-members rely much more on message
passing to this list in our methods to get the job done.

Henrik